Saturday, August 14, 2010

Summer is time for FRESH fruit

For me summer means juicy ripe fruit that runs down your arm when you start cutting it.  I just can never get enough fresh peaches, berries, cantaloupe, melons and pineapple.  When they are in season, nice and ripe they usually are put on special and are so flavorful.  I've learned to purchase one or two items when they first go on sale and make sure that they are tasty and fresh and not pithy or mushy.  Then I will gather up as much as I can and plan menus which will use the fruit.  One of my favorite things to do for a quick cool meal is to put together a big fruit salad and dress it with a non-fat yogurt dressing.  I've even branched out and added a touch of fresh basil for a little "gourmet" touch.  After all, basil is in the mint family and I will add mint to the dressing. 

Choose the freshest of ingredients
berries are a great source of nutrition
Don't be afraid to try something different
a nice ripe avocado (which is a fruit)
adds a great little texture
Non-fat plain yogurt with a tablespoon of honey,  juice of a lime and fresh mint
Fresh fruit dressed with the yogurt dressing
YUM, YUM, YUM......this was so good, I always make extra so I have some for lunch the next day.  This works great.  I put it in a glass jar and the yogurt keeps it moist and fresh. 

TRY IT SOMETIME, YOU JUST MIGHT LIKE IT!

1 comment:

  1. YUMMY! Love the new look of your blog and the yummy recipes! Miss you and love you!

    ReplyDelete